The lighthouse was brought in pieces from the UK where it had been constructed in 1852. It has been restored and still works guarding the northern tip of Grand Turk, the capital island of the Turks and Caicos. The lighthouse and lighthouse keeper’s house is a prized historic site and is protected by the National Trust. The Lighthouse provides some shade, a picnic area and an excellent viewing spot for the whales in February and March. The lighthouse hill overlooks North Creek, an inland body of water or lake that a growing number of historians argue is the closest fit to the description that Columbus gave for the island that he first encountered on his 1492 voyage to the New World.