FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TURKS & CAICOS TOURIST BOARD UPDATES ON MARKETING ACTIVITIES
UNDERTAKEN DURING DECEMBER 2020 AND JANUARY 2021
PROVIDENCIALES, Turks and Caicos Islands (February 24, 2021) – The Turks and Caicos
Islands Tourist Board, since the launch of its new marketing strategy in April 2020, has
provided periodic updates to the public on its progress. The aim of the promotional campaign
is to ensure that the Turks and Caicos Islands remain the preferred destination in the
Caribbean for visitors.
“In the eleventh month of our aggressive marketing campaign we are seeing excellent results
for Turks and Caicos. The Tourist Board has been working diligently with our local
stakeholders and our international travel partners in each of our major markets to promote the
destination. Since acquiring an international public relations firm in May 2020, the destination
has benefitted from media coverage valued at $169 million as of the end of December. For
2021 thus far, the media coverage we’ve received is valued at $13 million,” said Director of
Tourism Pamela Ewing.
The Tourist Board has engaged in a number of initiatives in December and January which
- Two full page advertisements in Times of the Islands magazine spring issue promoting the
sister islands and informing visitors of all activities available in the Turks and Caicos Islands.
- Banner and newsletter advertising with Caribbean Journal, inclusive of 5 editorial pieces covering multiple facets of the destination. The editorials focus on promoting the sister islands and niches such as private flights to the destination.
- AAA Northeast Marketplace was attended by the Senior Marketing Executive and Senior Public Relations Officer virtually. Here the destination was marketed to thousands of travel representatives and consumers. Apart from one-on-one dialogues that were had virtually with agents and consumers, the Tourist Board also participated in a general destination presentation that highlighted what sets the Turks and Caicos apart from its Caribbean competitors.
- In order to promote weddings, honeymoons and romance travel, a full-page advertisement was placed in Destination I Do magazine in addition to two features in its romance related blog. The blogs highlighted the reasons to get married in Turks and Caicos and how to ‘trash the dress’ in style in our turquoise waters.
- In efforts to promote the private flight/jet niche a one month long e-newsletter campaign with FlightAware was done in order to increase lucrative private flight arrivals.
- In order to remain relevant in the Canadian market and increase brand awareness, advertorials were created for the Go Adventure Planning Guide for the main markets of Toronto and Montreal.
- Air Canada Vacations Social Media Campaign and e-newsletters were created to bring brand awareness and encourage visitors to come to the destination once their borders reopen.
- An overall Turks and Caicos brand awareness campaign was conducted with Expedia to spotlight and promote each sister island as well as boost sales to the destination.
- Creation and promotion of special offers on the Tourist Board’s website which highlights deals within the destination for the budget conscious traveler.
- In December 2020, the destination was featured in the following publications: TravelPulse, MSN Lifestyle, Marie Claire Online, Travel + Leisure Online and Harper Bazaar Online.
- In January 2021, the destination was featured in the following publications: TravelPulse, Social Life Magazine, Caribbean Journal, Honeyfund, TravelWeek Canada, The Washington Post Online, MSN, Caribbean Journal, Travel Market Report, Marie Claire Online and AFAR Magazine Online.
- Organized excursion for travel writer for Essence Magazine on a press trip for Seven Stars Resort.
- Organized excursion for luxury travel advisor and influencer from Up In the Air Travel. Sponsored and organized day trip and tour of North and Middle Caicos and a private cooking class with the TCI’s culinary ambassador Chef Nik for travel writer for Condé Nast Traveler and Fathom.
- Issued press release in the USA market to promote expanded on-island testing capacity to meet new CDC requirements for entry into the USA.
- Cooperative agreement with CTO (Caribbean Tourism Organization) for collaborative Airbnb campaign. The messaging for the campaign was that the Caribbean Awaits and included banner advertisement, social media posts and press releases promoting the destination.
- In partnership with Signature Travel Network advertising banners were promoted on Cheap Caribbean to boost sales to the destination and bring brand awareness.
- In collaboration with Turks & Caicos Collection, the Turks & Caicos Tourist Board hosted 22 travel agents on FAM trips to North and Middle Caicos on February 8th and 11th. The group of top producing travel agents represent our key source market – the USA.
- Initialized communication with wholesale partners to organize the Turks and Caicos Conference (TACC) in May 2021.
- American Airlines has announced a new flight from New York (JFK) to Providenciales (PLS) from June 4th to August 14th on Saturdays only.